Monday, February 7, 2011

Good Morning World ~ time to walk on Ice

Good ~  Good to be alive ~  Good to fall on the ice ?  Well . . . that was a jolt, all the way from sit-bone to shoulder, but I am glad for all of it.  The music playing, the bird seed from Hannaford's, the maine mussels with wine and basil, garlic & tamari, tomato & lemon, a dash of seaweed flakes . . . I can't teach LIFE, LIFE teaches me ~ when I pay attention.

And so, this morning I would like to invite you into 3 poems ~

For the Sleepwalkers 
   
by Edward Hirsch

For the Sleepwalkers
Tonight I want to say something wonderful
for the sleepwalkers who have so much faith
in their legs, so much faith in the invisible
 arrow carved into the carpet, the worn path
that leads to the stairs instead of the window,
the gaping doorway instead of the seamless mirror.
 I love the way that sleepwalkers are willing
to step out of their bodies into the night,
to raise their arms and welcome the darkness,

palming the blank spaces, touching everything.
Always they return home safely, like blind men
who know it is morning by feeling shadows.

And always they wake up as themselves again.
That's why I want to say something astonishing
like: Our hearts are leaving our bodies.

Our hearts are thirsty black handkerchiefs
flying through the trees at night, soaking up
the darkest beams of moonlight, the music

of owls, the motion of wind-torn branches.
And now our hearts are thick black fists
flying back to the glove of our chests.

We have to learn to trust our hearts like that.
We have to learn the desperate faith of sleep-
walkers who rise out of their calm beds

and walk through the skin of another life.
We have to drink the stupefying cup of darkness
and wake up to ourselves, nourished and surprised.


~ Edward Hirsch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  

The Old Interior Angel
      
    by David Whyte

Young, male and immortal as I was, 
 I stopped at the first
sight 
of that broken bridge.

The taut cables snapped 
and the bridge planks 
concertina-
ed 
 into a crazy jumble 
 over the drop, 
 four hundred feet 
 to
the craggy 
stream.

I sat and watched 
 the wind shiver 
 on the broken planks, 

as if by looking hard 
 and long enough 
 the life-line 
 might
spontaneously 
repair itself 
–but watched in vain.

An hour I sat 
 in the clear silence, 
 checking each 

involuntary movement 
 of the body toward 
 that trembling 

bridge 
 with a fearful mind, 
 and an emphatic 
 shake of the
head.

Finally, facing defeat 
and about to go back 
the way I came 

to meet the others.

Three days round 
by another pass.

Enter the old mountain woman 
 with her stooped gait, 
 her
dark clothes 
and her dung basket 
clasped to her back.

Small feet shuffling 
 for the precious 
 gold-brown 
 fuel for
cooking food.

Intent on the ground 
 she glimpsed my feet 
 and looking up 

Said "Namaste" 
 "I greet the God in you" 
 the last syllable 

held like a song.

I inclined my head 
 and clasped my hands 
 to reply, but 

before I could look up 
 she turned her lined face 
 and went
straight across 
 that shivering chaos 
 of wood 
 and broken

steel 
in one movement.

One day the hero 
 sits down, 
 afraid to take 
 another step, 

and the old interior angel 
 limps slowly in 
 with her no-
nonsense 
compassion 
and her old secret 
and goes ahead.

"Namaste" 
you say 
and follow.


*from "Fire in the Earth" by David Whyte
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Some words from Martha Graham:

There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening
That is translated through you into action--
And because there is only one of you in all time,
This expression is unique.

And if you block it, it will never exist
Through any other medium
And it will be lost.

The world will not have it.

It is not your business
To determine how good it is
Nor how valuable
Nor how it compares with other expressions.

It is your business
To keep it yours clearly and directly,
To keep the channel OPEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment